The Governor thinks he can justify taking $1.2 billion in stimulus funds, dedicating 70% of it to tolling Texans for roads to no where like the Grand Porkway in Houston, but can’t justify taking $500 million for unemployment benefits while Texans are losing their jobs. He says he doesn’t want the “strings” attached.
Well, you can read the rebuttals to that in the newspapers (this one in the Dallas News is as good as any), but it’s obvious what’s going on here.
Below is a message for the Governor. You might add your own and send them to the Governor yourself. Here’s where you can contact the Governor, though sending a letter to the editor and calling your state rep might not be a waste of your time.
Five Easy Ways for Governor Rick Perry to Prove to Texans He Really Cares:
1. Governor Perry, start by repenting your lobbyist-friendly ways, saving our highways and our homes from greedy corporate gangsters like home builder Bob Perry, who owns you.
2. Governor Perry, stop lying about the Trans-Texas Corridor. We know it is not dead, though your rein as Texans’ “longest standing Governor” is.
3. Governor Perry, you’re no fiscal conservative. You’re a penny pinching politician who could care less about elderly, disabled and poor Texans. When it comes to your big business buddies, money has never been an object.
4. Governor Perry, do you think you can trick Texans off their land by pushing a dummy eminent domain reform bill? If so, then you’re the real dummy.
5. Governor Perry, why don’t you vacate that $10,000 per month mansion we’re paying for, and while you’re at it, why don’t you vacate the Governor’s office now. Don’t wait until 2010. I know a real quick getaway on a toll road near you!