* Funny things have been happening ever since the Hays County Commissioners Court jumped in bed with Forestar Real Estate Group. The Lost Pines Groundwater Conservation District is meeting with Forestar on Friday, so says the news. Get ready to attend the next Lost Pines GCD meeting next Wednesday, 7 pm, currently scheduled for Giddings City Hall. (Note: we will be asking for a larger venue.) We’ll send you more poop before then. And, please read Environmental Stewardship’s urgent update here: http://www.environstewardship.org/2013/10/09/landowners-appeal-party-stutus/
* Even funnier things are happening on Prop 6 now that we’re fixin’ to vote on it: http://www.indytexans.com/2013/10/10/funny-things-happen-before-elections-especially-on-prop-6/
* Next Monday, October 14th, please join one of our No on Prop 6 press conferences in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Austin. Keep checking here for details: http://www.indytexans.com/2013/10/10/advisory-press-conferences-to-nix-prop-6/
* Austin! Thurs., Oct. 17th, 6:30 pm, the League of Women Voters – Austin Area will hold a debate on Prop 6. No, Water Texas PAC and H204Texas won’t debate. But this one should be a hot one with Bill Bunch (Save Our Springs Alliance) taking the No on 6 position. It’s at the Triumphant Love Church, 9508 Great Hills Trail, Austin.
* Monday, October 21st, 6 pm, at Roans Prairie Community Center (at the crossroads of Hwy. 30 and Hwy. 90), there is a public hearing by a new local organization in Grimes County and surrounds started by Martha and Bob Strawn and Joan Escamilla — called Pro-TEAMS (Facebook here) on citizen’s concerns about eminent domain abuse, public safety and protection of water resources related to pipelines. Visit TexasPipelineWatch.org and consider holding your own hearings!
* The new League of Independent Voters of Texas has parttime jobs for phone callers! If you’re good on the phone and can work in Bastrop, please call 512-213-4511 right away. Only 4 positions are open!
* Have you seen the firestorm of comments on news blogs about the possibility of Debra Medina running as an independent candidate for Governor? We say…run, Debra, run, however you wish…and don’t let the partisanship get you down! P.S. They always call independents “spoilers”! More here: http://www.texastribune.org/2013/10/04/spoiler-alert-medina-switch-could-upend-electoral-/
* Independent Texans now has regular Saturday, 9 am conference calls. This next Saturday’s focuses on Prop 6, the water amendment and how to defeat it. Early voting starts on Monday, Oct. 21. Reply if you want the conference number or, if you’ve joined us in the past, you already have it.