If you live in East Texas, pay close attention and if you know folks who live there, send them this message posted here.
Citizens in 6 cities (Cleveland, Big Sandy, Fairfield, Bryan-College Station, Tyler and Beaumont) are holding their own hearings in East Texas — starting on Tuesday! See below.
A national CBS News report last Tuesday exposed the faulty construction problems identified months ago by East Texas landowners with the Keystone XL pipeline. Keystone XL (owned by TransCanada) is slated to start any day now pushing toxic diluted bitumen (aka tar sands) over hundreds of waterways and across the Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer that serves 10-12 million people:
An in-depth Special Report of Keystone XL’s problem was released by Public Citizen click here.
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and Texas House Speaker Joe Straus were warned about the problems by a cross-partisan coalition (in this letter from Debra Medina, Julia Trigg Crawford and Jim Hightower) last June. They were asked to do an interim study and public hearings. The Lt. Governor’s office said he was “too busy” and Speaker Straus has been mute.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Independent Texans will hold a meeting on Monday, December 2nd, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm, at the Paige Community Center at 107 S. Main (at 290) in Paige, Texas.. We have some important updates to share on the water front and this meeting is just one week from the filing deadline for candidates to run in 2014. Please come!
We can change election outcomes next November if we organize now, folks!
The hearings below are being sponsored by a new non-profit independent organization called the League of Independent Voter of Texas. We’ll tell you more about it real soon!
- Tues., Nov. 19th, 6:30-8:30 pm, Cleveland, TX, Beulah Land Baptist Church (Rev. Aubrey Vaughan is host), 464 County Road 2184. Speakers: Debra Medina (We Texans), Jim Williams (Public Citizen), Linda Curtis as facilitator (League of Independent Voters). Relevant pipelines: Keystone XL & Pegasus.
- Wed., Nov. 20, 6:30-8:30 pm, Big Sandy, TX, Big Sandy Community Center, 207 Gilmer Street, Big Sandy. Speakers: Julia Trigg Crawford (Lamar County farmer), Jessica Ellison (local family farm), Emily Harris (Mayflower, AR first responder by video or in person), Linda Curtis (facilitator).
- Thurs., Nov. 21, 7:00-9:00 pm, Fairfield, TX, VFW Hall, 198 VFW Road, Fairfield, TX. Speakers: Medina, Smitty and Harris (in person or video), Linda Curtis, facilitator. Relevant pipelines: Pegasus and Seaway.
- Tues., Dec. 3, 6:30-8:30 pm, Bryan-College Station TX, Best Western Premier Old Town Center, 1920 Austins Colony Pkwy, Bryan, TX, Speakers: Smitty (Public Citizen), Harris (video or in person), Kathleen Hubbard (Brazos River Bottom Alliance), Linda Curtis, facilitator. Relevant pipeline & issues: Seaway & railway station in Brazos Valley. Additional speakers likely.
- Wed., Dec. 4, 6:30-8:30 pm, Tyler, TX Rose Garden Center, 420 Rose Park Drive, Tyler, TX. Speakers: Calvin Tilman, Smitty (Public Citizen), Curtis, facilitator. Additional speakers likely. Relevant pipelines: Keystone XL, Pegasus.
- Thurs., Dec. 5, 6:30-8:30 pm, Beaumont, TX, Knights of Columbus Hall, 9505 College, Beaumont, TX. Speakers: Smitty (Public Citizen), Isom Ramsey (local resident), Mike Hathorn, Cherokee County landowner, Linda Curtis, facilitator. Relevant pipelines: Pegasus, Seaway, CrossTex (eminent domain abuse). Additional speakers likely.
These hearings are sponsored by a new non-profit organization — the League of Independent Voters of Texas
PO Box 651 * Bastrop, TX 78602 * 512-213-4511